Yes, if a veteran’s surviving spouse adopts a child after the veteran’s death, the following must apply:
- the claimant submits a decree of adoption showing the surviving spouse adopted the child within two years after the date of the veteran’s death
- the adoptive parent or child’s custodian submits a statement indicating
- the child was living in the veteran’s household at the time of the veteran’s death, and
- the veteran or the veteran’s spouse provided the majority of the child’s support from the time the child became a member of the veteran’s household until the date of the decree of adoption, and
- the statement does not conflict with other evidence of record.
Reference: For more information on adoptions occurring after a veteran’s death, see